Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pentecost Weekend in Fatima and Santarem

I am spending Pentecost weekend in the cities of Fatima and Santarem. I took the day to visit the Church of the Holy Miracle today in Santarem. The Blessed Sacrament still bears resemblance of true blood and flesh. Amazing!

The votive candle area at the Shrine of Fatima is abhorrent. I brought five candles with me for various prayer intentions and individuals and by the time my fifth one was lit, atleast two were consumed by the forced fire below the candles. Compared to the two other Marian shrines I have visited on this extended pilgrimmage, i.e. Montserrat and Lourdes, Fatima´s is a shame and potentially dangerous to little children and slower moving people. I digress.

Fatima is beautiful though quite hot. Both Fatima and Madrid have been around 30 degrees Celsius, quite the change from 24 to 26 at midday while on the Camino Frances post-city of Leon.

Pray for me as I pray for you and send any prayer requests (openly or just say, ¨Please pray for my request¨) in the next day, as I will check my email once again tomorrow now that I know where to access a computer.

The people in Portugal are definitely different from Spain. They seem a little more aloof, but are very helpful when you are unsure of what to do. I am pleased by the lack of piercings around the mouth/cheek area as so many Spaniard teens and twentysomethings find in vogue. I hope this is not something catching on in the last 6 weeks I have been away from the States. Oremus!

No comments: